Monday, December 13, 2010

Stranger than you dreamt it

ohmygosh I’m watching my favorite movie, The Phantom of the Opera, and I just had the strangest thought!
Raul: Whose is this voice you hear? With every breath?
And I’m like, oh voices, like the auditory hallucinations of schizophrenics (I just had my psych final yesterday and yeah I know I’m weird.) So what if Christine was schizophrenic and the phantom was all in her mind! Oh those enlarged ventricles! Darn you! But then when I heard one of my favorite parts when Christine sings: 
Raoul, I’ve been there
to his world of unending night
To a world with the daylight dissolves into darkness…
darkness…
Raoul, I’ve seen him!
Can I ever forget that sight?
Can I ever escape from that face?
So distorted, deformed, it was hardly a face
in that darkness…
darkness…
But his voice filled my spirit
with a strange, sweet sound…
In that night there was music in my mind…
And through music my soul began to soar!
And I heard as I’d never heard before…

RAOUL
What you heard was a dream and nothing more…

CHRISTINE
Yet in his eyes
all the sadness of the world
Those pleading eyes,
that both threaten and adore
And I always thought that it was such a beautiful juxtaposition of the different ways Erik can be from Phantom to Angel. But what if Christine was also bipolar and these were just her thoughts! 
What if the Phantom didn’t exist at all and it was all in her mind? What if it was Christine who would actually “kill a thousand men….and kill and kill again?” That would be crazy! Maybe when I’m retired I’ll write a book! 
I still prefer the original storyline though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment